IVF #3 Beta 1 and 2

I feel horrible that I haven’t been back on to give ya’ll an update on my next two beta tests. I’ve been tired and since I work on a computer all day, sometimes the last thing I want to do is open up my laptop.

Just a recap – my first beta was on August 19 (12dp5dt) and it was 116.

  • Beta #2 – August 21, 2014 (14dp5dt) was 243.
  • Beta #3 – August 25, 2014 (18dp5dt) was 1291

So everything looks great and I’m out of the beta testing world. My first ultrasound is scheduled for Sept 4, 2014, however I’m going to call and see if there were any cancellations for the 2nd or 3rd. I’m dying to see that little blob on the screen and know this is really happening. Because I STILL don’t believe it.

I say I don’t believe it yet I’m already pinning pregnancy and baby things on Pinterest. See how confused I am?


  • mild cramping here and there
  • sore boobs (when not in bra)
  • bloated (I look pregnant now)
  • tired (not sure if it’s baby related or just tired)
  • frequent peeing (could be that I drink a lot of water?)

IVF #3 – Day after retrieval status call

I got the first status call this morning around 9:45 and the nurse asked me how I was doing since my retrieval. I told her I had pretty good cramps yesterday but today seems much better. She goes on to tell me that I’ll be bloated for a few days and if the cramps continue, to take the pain pills that were prescribed. I said I would.

She then gave me an update on my eggs/embryos. Out of the 9 that were retrieved, 8 were mature, and of those 8, 6 were fertilized. Of course I wished for more but I also need to be happy for what I do have.

Last time they only retrieved 4 and all were fertilized but one slowed down. So I ended up with 3 that were dividing properly. Tomorrow’s status call will give me more of an indication on how well they are dividing. Stay tuned!

IVF #3 – Retrieval day, 9 of 13 collected

This morning was retrieval day. My appointment was at 9:30am so I was there an hour an a half before. They got me checked it, vitals done, dressed in gown and comfy on the stretcher.

Eventually my mom came back. When I was called back, my mom was in the ladies room. When she did finally reach my curtained off room, she told me what just happened to her. On her way from the ladies room, she decided to go upstairs and go the food bar and get some food. She didn’t want to eat breakfast in front of me since I could eat or drink anything. So nice. The food bar was closed and she headed back down to the first floor. As she walked out of the elevator, he shoe caught on these plywood-type of boards that were on the carpet areas for movers to keep the carpet protected. The board came up a bit and mom landed on both knees, then slid sprawled out, face down. My mom was terrified, embarrassed and shaking like a tree. She just had her knee replaced back in April and it’s still healing. Two guys saw what happened and ran to help her. So did the security guard and two of the nurses. She finally got up and headed back to see me. As the day went on, she is stiff and sore. The security guard gave her some numbers to call if it ends up being bad. Those boards were supposed to be taped down the the movers said they didn’t think this would happen since not many people were in the building. Poor mom.

When mom arrived next to me and told me this story, she was laughing, which made me laugh. She painted a lovely vision of a beached whale – her words. So it was fun to laugh and not think too much about what was about to happen.

I love being put under anesthesia so that’s never a problem. It’s just the whole process is a bit nerve-racking. I must have emptied my bladder 14 times but finally it was my turn. We head to the OR and it’s as cold as a meat locker. Everyone is very nice and make you feel very comfortable.

The anesthesiologist gave me a tad of juice to relax me and I absolutely love that stuff. I would love to bottle it up and take a sip right before bed every night. Next thing I know I’m waking up in my curtained off room. Mom comes back and sits next to me.

The doctor came in and said he retrieved 9 eggs. Of course you always hope for more but I’m super excited with this number. Last IVF only 4 were retrieved so this is more than double. I’m happy and pleased.

The nurse brought me some crackers and water and I inhaled it all. I was so hungry. When I was ready, they had me walk to the other side of the room to make sure I’m okay to leave. I was. I never have any problems waking up.

The lady that went before me does. She was still there waking up when I left. They retrieved 41 eggs from her. Holy crap! I can’t even imagine the discomfort she was in when it was uncomfortable for me and I had 13. According to her records she always has a hard time waking up so they were prepared and took great care of her.

My mom drove me home and I had some lunch – real food and then took naps on and off all day long. The cramps got pretty bad but nothing I couldn’t handle. Just made me lazy and not wanting to move a lot. My mom was kind enough to drop my prescription off that they give you in our Goodie Bag, and it was for Hydrocodone, which I’ve never taken before. I thought the cramps would go away but they didn’t so I was happy she filled it and brought them home after she got off of work. I took one tonight hoping it will help me sleep more comfortably and maybe they won’t be as bad tomorrow. The last two IVFs I had very mild cramping and it didn’t last all day.

Tomorrow between 12-3pm is when I should expect the big call. During this call they will tell me how many fertilized, if any are dividing, and if how many cells they are.

Medications: I started taking the Estrace (sp?) tonight and beginning tomorrow I start taking progesterone suppositories 3 times a day. I hate this part but I’ll do what I have to do.

It’s estimated that Transfer Day could be Thursday, which would make it a day 5 transfer. This date could change depending on the daily progress. I can’t wait! I hope tomorrow and this week turn out well.


IVF #3 – Injection day 10, 11 measured

Update time! Today 11 were still measured. I won’t do measurements tonight since they only grew a tad bit, but the largest is 18.2 and the smallest is 11.1. My estrogen went from 1231 to 1330 – only about 100, which stinks, but maybe they needed a day off and tomorrow will be better. 🙂

I’m to continue with the same dose and return to the doctor tomorrow morning. I’m REALLY hoping they’ll tell me to trigger tomorrow night.

IVF #3 – Injection day 9, 11 measured…still

I still am measuring 11 follicles! Yippie! So now the sizes are 17.6, 16.6, 16.4, 16.1, 14.8, 14.7, 14.1, 12.8, 12.6, 11.3, 11.2. The nurse said that they are going to try and get the 11 ad 12’s to catch up so they have more to retrieve. She’s thinking three more days of injections. She’s also estimating that Friday I’ll trigger, which puts my ER on Sunday. Again, this could change by tomorrow or even Thursday but that’s the predictions now.

See ya tomorrow!

IVF #3 – Injection day 8, 11 measured

This morning I was back at my normal office for my blood work and ultrasound. My poor arms are already bruised. I had my favorite U/S technician and she measured 11 follicles – 14.6, 14.5, 14.5, 13.8, 13.7, 12.6, 12.2, 11.6, 11.3, 10.3, and 10.0. They are so close to each other in size and last IVF they were so far apart that the smaller ones could never catch up. The technician asked me how many were retrieved last time and I told her four. She said this time there will be more. Of course you never know until the doctor goes in the get them, how many they will actually be able to retrieve.

My estrogen on Saturday was 369 and today it’s 803. Nice, huh?

Historical – day 8:

  • IVF #1 – 92.5
  • IVF #2 – 369, 5 measured
  • IVF #3 – 803, 11 measured

When my nurse called she said I could trigger either Thursday, Friday or maybe Saturday. I hope I have enough to do a day 5 or 6, which means we can see which ones make it to the blastocyst stage.

I’m on daily monitoring now so I head back tomorrow morning. I hope to know more tomorrow afternoon, which trigger date it could be.

Fingers and toes crossed for me!! 🙂

Meds delivered

My next huge box of meds were delivered yesterday. I took the box inside and opened it up. I placed what needed to be kept cool in the fridge and took the box to the usual place for setup – my bathroom.

You can tell I’m getting to be a professional at this whole process. I packed everything into an expandable cube box and placed what I would need last at the bottom and layering it as I’ll need it. So the things on the very top are what I’ll need first.

I blogged earlier about how I’ve missed some birth control pills and thought it was making me spot, but now I’m not too sure. I’ve been super-lightly spotting for at least seven days. I don’t know why, but I am.

I’ve been reading about adding baby aspirin to my many other supplements that I take. I don’t think it will hurt anything and what I’ve read it seems like it could very well help. So I’ll buy that this week and begin taking that. I read some people say they started the day after retrieval so I’ll probably take one every other day now, stop the day before and during retrieval, then pick back up taking them every day.

I can’t say that I’m all that excited about starting this next cycle but if it ends with a pregnancy, it will all be worth it.

Will I be okay with that

Today I got to hang out with a friend of mine and I got to catch her up on all things IVF in my life. In our discussion I had mentioned something along the lines that I only get two more transfer, that insurance will only pay for two more. She said something like – but won’t you keep going afterwards. I initially said no. IVF is expensive and it would take me a year or so to save up that kind of money.

But I got to thinking as the day went on. If after the three attempts insurance will pay, and I don’t get pregnant, will that be it? Will I not try anymore? Will I be okay with that?

I’ve always wanted to be a mother. How could I be okay with that not happening? I’m not sure I can be.

So now I’m scared again. My new cycle of injections is coming up on the 21st and I’m so scared this may never happen for me. If it doesn’t work on the second transfer, would I be okay with using an egg donor? It terrifies me to think about that just yet.

I don’t know how many times I need to pray. Or how many times I can wish on a star. When will it be my time to be a mother?


105 today and no A/C

I arrived home last night anticipating a nice and relaxing evening. I walk up the stairs of my split foyer and realized it seemed really hot. It’s usually a bit warmer on the second floor than the basement level but something didn’t seem right. I walk over to check the thermostat and it was reading 83 degrees. WTH!?!

I turned off the thermostat, waited a few minutes, and turned it back on. All it would do is run the fan, so basically blowing around warm air.

I head downstairs to the breaker box and flip the switch labeled furnace/A/C, waited and turned back on. Same thing. Now I’m getting worried.

I put my shoes back on and head outside and walk around the side of the house where the A/C unit sits. Nothing. The blades are moving. I kick it a few times and still nothing.  I flip the breaker box again, flip it back on, and walked outside again. Same thing. Not coming on.

I located my home warranty and go online to fill out the work order form. I sit in the living room hoping by a small miracle that someone was working late and would call me. Nope. I sat there for a while but was sweating. I couldn’t take it anymore.

The dogs and I headed down to my mom’s living room. It’s still warm down there but not as bad so we turned on the TV and hung out. I kept the lights out since they could create more heat.

Bare in mind, yesterday with the heat index, it got to 109 degrees. Today it will be 105.

When I got to work this morning I called them and got their voicemail. I left a message. About an hour later I emailed them. Not a peep. It’s now almost noon.

I called my home warranty and she said they have 48 hours to reply. Then she put me on hold and she got in touch with the contractor who said he is just about to call me. We’ll see.

The contractor can’t see me until Saturday morning. Guess I’ll have to take it. I did call the home warranty company to see if there are any other contractors that could do it sooner but two could see me on Sunday and one could see me next week. So I think Saturday is the better deal even if it still sucks.

I’ll live, I know, I’ll just be sticky. 🙂

Time management

Using Outlook is something that I learned several years ago when I worked at Under Armour but I didn’t take with me the manual I received during training. I remember that training class, which was taught by and outside organization, was THE BEST training I’ve ever participated in.

So, I’ve found a new system. I searched amazon.com and found a book that received really great reviews. The name of it is Control Your Day and the premise behind this is to get away from using folders to store your email but instead assign categories to your emails.

The author walks you through how to set things up in Outlook to be automated, which I love. I still getting rid of all my project folders but so far I’m loving it. This new system will keep my inbox clean and help me control my day and not spend hours answering emails and then organizing them.

Once I have used this system for a while, and if anyone is interested, I’d love to share some tutorials.

Can’t wait to go to work tomorrow to finish setting up my Outlook! Crazy, I know!