I know it’s been a while since I last posted. In fact, so much has happened that this will basically be a summary.
- Was on the injections for longer than they thought
- Trigger shot wasn’t as terrifying as I thought it would be
- Helps to put ice on the area before injecting the trigger shot
- Two eggs were retrieved
- Only one fertilized (by ICSI)
- That lone embryo divided to two cells
- Had a decision to make – either transfer back in and hope it divides or wait two more days
- I waited two more days – no further division
- IVF canceled
I’m bummed but not super upset. The doctor said she thinks it will take at least two attempts. So in the back of my mind I was somewhat prepared for this. Doesn’t take away any of the disappointment or frustration of having to do this all over again, but ya know, there are many others out there who have been doing this much longer so if they can do it, so can I.
The decision was hard to make, whether to transfer that embryo back in and hope it does better there, but I kept having this nagging voice remind me that insurance only will pay for three transfers. So as long as I don’t transfer, I still have those left. So as of right now, I still have three chances. It sucks that I have to think of things this way but if the cells never divided past 2-cells, there was no sense in using one of my chances. If during those five days of petri dish days, if it divided to at least a 4-cell, then I would have transferred it back.
Now I wait to hear from my nurse to let me know next steps.