Same protocol

As the last IVF. My doctor called today to go over any questions I have and to discuss next steps. Of course I have questions but like I told her, I don’t think there’s a way to know for sure. But she said to ask anyway, so I did. I basically wanted to know if when the three embryos were transferred back inside, did they stop growing, did they just not hatch anymore, or did they hatch by my uterus just rejected them. Like I suspected, she can guess what happened but without installing a video camera on lining of my uterus, we’ll never know for sure. She said that she suspects that my embryos weren’t a good quality and just stopped growing.

We discussed next steps which include the same protocol as the last IVF. Out of the two, the last one produced the best results so far. I agree. I didn’t grow 10+ eggs but compared to IVF#1, this one grew more and they were able to retrieve more. I can’t remember how we starting talking about the transfer dates, whether it would be a 3-day or 5-day transfer. She did say that typically they do 3-day transfers. So I asked if it would be better to wait and do a 5-day transfer to see if they ever get to the blastocyst stage. If they get to that stage, there is a greater chance of them implanting.

She originally was against it. I explained that my insurance pays for three transfers. I get two more. So why not hold on to them and see if they continue to grow to day 5. She understood my point in this and put a note on my chart. When we retrieve the eggs and fertilized them, we’ll see how well they divide and decide at that time if it will be a day-3 or a day-5. I felt good that she was willing to understand my side of things and will work with me.

Tonight I’ve also done some more research on DHEA. Right now I’ve been taking 1 25mg pill a day. The recommended dose is 75mg. So starting tomorrow I will take 75mg. I’ve read success with this dosage with patients that have diminished ovarian reserve (DOR), which is what I have, so we’ll see! I just hope it doesn’t bite me in the ass. My doctor doesn’t believe in taking DHEA, yet in their office, they have a brochure discussing DHEA can help egg quality in DOR patients. I don’t typically go against doctors and I do trust this place, it’s one of the best places, but I don’t think it would hurt to try it for a cycle.

What would you do? Would you take it regardless of what your doctor says?

Advertisements

Embryo Transfer Day

I woke up this morning and kept thinking to myself that I will probably get a call cancelling the transfer. Perhaps they stopped dividing like what happened during IVF #1. I took my shower and went about my normal morning routine; still frequently checking my phone.

I was instructed to bring two bottles of water and drink on my way to the doctor’s office. I drank one bottle and knew I couldn’t drink anymore or I would have to pee. They want a moderately full bladder for the transfer; I guess it helps them see things better.

I enter the waiting room and was informed I was the last person for the day. I sat down and took out my phone to turn it to vibrate when a nurse called me back. She asked me a few questions and I waiting until the room was ready. I removed my flip flops and put on little booties. She brings me back to the room and has me undress from the waste down. I sit on the table and wait. In front of me is a clock. Next to me are two monitors. Nothing else to look at. So I watched the clock tick by. I don’t know about you, but when I get naked, I have to pee even more. So now I’m getting worried that I’m not going to make it through the transfer without peeing. Terrible thought, I know!

Finally the transfer doctor came in and asked me some questions. He then told me that I have two 8-cell and one 4-cell embryos. I was shocked! The day before they were 2-cell and 1-cell. They grew a lot in 24 hours. So he confirmed about transferring all three and I hesitated but decided to move forward with all three. I was nervous, but he thought that the 4-cell wouldn’t do much anyway.

I informed him the urgency of the pee situation. But I told him I wouldn’t pee on him. Two other nurses were in there with us. One has a sonogram onĀ  my belly so he could see where he needs to go. He said my uterus looks perfect and the nurses agree. I can’t read those monitors so I agreed with what they said. On the monitor on the wall they had a picture of my three embryos. He inserts the catheter and they ring a bell to let the embryologist know that we are ready. She brings in my three embryos in a tube. He inserts them and he watches on the monitor as he pushes them in. Again, I can’t see a thing.

We have to wait for one minute to make sure the embryos are out and then he removed the tube and the embryologist has to verify that none were left in the tube. We got the all clear and I was able to sit up. A nurse came in to go over instructions on what I can and can’t do over the next few days.I told the nurse that it’s too bad I can’t get a picture of my embryos and she said that I would. So I have a picture of them that I can look at and think positive thoughts.

I put my clothes back on and ran to the ladies room. I almost didn’t make it. Not gonna lie.

Cramping occurred the rest of the day. When I went to bed, the cramps were pretty bad.

Playing Catch Up on IVF #1

I know it’s been a while since I last posted. In fact, so much has happened that this will basically be a summary.

  • Was on the injections for longer than they thought
  • Trigger shot wasn’t as terrifying as I thought it would be
  • Helps to put ice on the area before injecting the trigger shot
  • Two eggs were retrieved
  • Only one fertilized (by ICSI)
  • That lone embryo divided to two cells
  • Had a decision to make – either transfer back in and hope it divides or wait two more days
  • I waited two more days – no further division
  • IVF canceled

I’m bummed but not super upset. The doctor said she thinks it will take at least two attempts. So in the back of my mind I was somewhat prepared for this. Doesn’t take away any of the disappointment or frustration of having to do this all over again, but ya know, there are many others out there who have been doing this much longer so if they can do it, so can I.

The decision was hard to make, whether to transfer that embryo back in and hope it does better there, but I kept having this nagging voice remind me that insurance only will pay for three transfers. So as long as I don’t transfer, I still have those left. So as of right now, I still have three chances. It sucks that I have to think of things this way but if the cells never divided past 2-cells, there was no sense in using one of my chances. If during those five days of petri dish days, if it divided to at least a 4-cell, then I would have transferred it back.

Now I wait to hear from my nurse to let me know next steps.