First Week of First Puppy

I realize this blog might be a bit long, and I meant to blog each day but it just didn’t happen, so here is the first week of my first puppy.

Sadie (my dog) has been wanting a friend. She told me so. Actually, that’s not true, however I have noticed that she really enjoys playing. She first learned by her first best friend, Jasmine. Jasmine showed her the right way to play and it has given her the tools to be able to play with others that same way. Then I fostered a much larger dog and she played perfectly with him. So I decided that Sadie could use a friend. I’ve been browsing K-9 Lifesavers Rescue website for a few months but knowing I was taking a trip to Houston with my mom, it just wasn’t right to get a new dog and then leave.

When I returned from Houston I went to K-9 Lifesavers website and took a look around. Nothing grabbed me. The next week I did the same thing. To my surprise, they had a bunch of puppies in. Hmmm, did I want a puppy? They are tons of work and can I do that? Months ago I did talk about getting a puppy and thought it would be great since a friend of mine was in the pet business. Since my original plans didn’t work out, I wondered if I could manage myself or if I would need to get another pet sitter. Either way I was going for it.

I contacted the adoption coordinator to ask her some questions about Pup Hannah and Pup Josie. She put me in contact with their foster mom Dianne. We emailed back and forth for a couple of days and she was wonderful in answering all my questions. She suggested I attend their next adoption event so I could meet both of them, and to bring Sadie.


June 2nd K-9 Lifesavers was having an adoption event in Rockville so we took a little road trip to Rockville. We got there early to beat the crowds and Dianne was there unloading the pups. We went into Petco and used their break room so Josie, Hannah, and Sadie could be off leash and get to know each other. I wanted Sadie to pick. Instead, Josie picked Sadie. She was all over Sadie in the cutest way possible. I filled out the paperwork and took our new little girl home. She slept in my mom’s arms the entire ride home. She was pooped.

She was so good the rest of Sunday. She became Sadie’s shadow instantly. Sadie looked annoyed and I was hoping she would warm up to her eventually. I couldn’t leave the room without her following me.



She woke me up at 1am so I took her out and she peed. She then woke me up around 5am (my alarm was set for 5:30) and we went out again and she peed. I went to lay back in bed with the lights on and she curled up in Sadie’s bedroom bed. I couldn’t see her and she couldn’t see me. Literally, every minute she would walk over to the side of my bed and look at me, then returned to the dog bed. She did this for about 15 minutes, every minute. It was like she had to keep checking to make sure I was there. I laid there smiling. Woke up around 6:30 and took her back out and she peed again. I took my shower and then shut her in the room with me while I got dressed and did hair/make-up. She stayed curled up in Sadie’s dog bed. We left the bedroom and went out to give her food and she ate. Then I went to prepare Sadie’s food bowl for when I put the pup in her crate and turn around to three good size pee puddles and a nice soft mud mound of diarrhea. I didn’t even see her do it! And where did all that pee come from? They say pups have small bladders but after that I’m not convinced. So I picked her up and placed her outside so I could clean it up. Thank goodness for hardwood floors.

Get the pup crated, Sadie fed and I’m off to work. Oh and I forgot to mention earlier that I bought a Belkin Netcam so I could watch her while I’m not home. I got to work and brought up the netcam to watch. She whined and howled and cried from the time I left until 11:30ish. Poor thing. I watched her scoot the crate across the floor…lol. I went home at lunch and worked at home the rest of the day.

When I got home I could hear her crying and I went to let her out and noticed diarrhea ALL OVER the inside of the crate. All over the wire crate, all over the white bedding, all over each and every soft toy she had in there, and all over her – like she rolled around in it. I let her out and carry her outside. We go down to the yard and she does her business.

I gathered the bedding and all her toys and put them all in the washer. Then I grabbed the pup and gave her a bath. She was scared when I turned on the water because of the loud noises but she did great. It’s much easier bathing a 15lb pup versus a 46lb dog. Much easier.

The rest of the day was rough. We would go out frequently and spend a good chunk of time outside, but she would still come in and do her potty business. This is why they make puppies so cute, so you don’t kill them…LOL. She could poop all over the place and I can’t be mad at her; she’s only 13 weeks old.



I decided I needed to work from home. Which I did. She woke me up this time around 5:30am. I spent most of the day taking her out and having her spend time outside. I wanted her to know that the grass is where she does her potty business, not inside. Sadie spent most of the day outside but brought the pup in many times for water and air. I can’t leave her outside in the heat for long periods of time yet. She did much better. She peed and pooped all outside. No indoor messes.

I also placed her in her crate for 15 minute intervals to disassociate the crate with me leaving.

Outside she would run laps in the backyard and then she suddenly stopped, and pooped. Ha!



She let me sleep in a bit and woke me up around 6:30am. I continued the crate game. I would also put her in the crate and leave the house for a few minutes at a time or go downstairs or into another room. She did great!

She was inside playing and Sadie was outside. She was running from the living room to the dining room, down the hallway, and back, a couple of times. She suddenly stopped by the back door, on the rug, she pooped. Ah ha! Now I know when she runs around like that to take her outside. Washed the rug. I will say that my floors and rugs have never been cleaner. 🙂

20130605_170024 (1)


She woke me up around 5:30am and I had to go to work today. I figured if it got ugly I would work from home in the afternoon. I took her out and she peed. We went back inside and I crated her so I could shower. Once dressed, I let her outside with Sadie so I could get dressed and ready for work. She played and ran around. I went outside to see if I could tell if she pooped and yes, she pooped twice. Seriously, is this normal? lol We head back in and do the rest of our morning routine. I get to work and check the cam. She was crying off and on but not too bad. Mom left for work and texted me that the pup was crying and Sadie was growling/humming and finally the pup settled down. Sadie was probably saying something like “I am NOT going to listen to this all day so shut it up!” lol

I went home at noon to check on her, praying she didn’t make a mess in her crate. She heard my car and started barking (could hear her from outside) and she was so excited to see me. Without me saying a word, I let her out and we went out back. I sat on the bottom step while she played with Sadie. She eventually peed. I went back inside to get a drink and watched her from the window. I saw her go into her poop stance and I rushed outside so I would be ready to praise her. Once I did she came galloping up to me and I gave her tons of love. We went inside so she could be fed. We went back outside shortly after to make sure she did what she needed to do. I put her back in the crate and returned to work. I checked the cam again and she was sound asleep.



She let me sleep in and woke me up around 6:30am. We did our routine and nothing new really happened. I went home a little later as a test and she passed. I had to run to Home Depot to pick up garage sale signs and get the warming rack of the grill I bought because it didn’t come with it like it should have. That took a little time after work so I didn’t get home until 5:30pm and she didn’t make any mess in her crate. She did great! I gave her tons of kisses and praises.



Mom and I woke up at the crack of dawn to put the signs out and haul the yard sale items out to the driveway. It was supposed to rain due to Andrea moving up the coast but I stalked the weather and it looked clear for the morning. We were all set up by 8am and ended around 11:30am due to rain. Not knowing if it would get worse we decided to pack up the cars and take what didn’t sell to Goodwill. Plus it gave us an excuse to end early. We did okay for a $1 everything yard sale but it’s always a tad disappointing as you hoped to have made more.

Sadie and the pup were out back most of the morning as the temperatures were mild. Took them in once we cleaned up for their nap time.



Originally I was told that the pup was 11 weeks old but looking at the paperwork, she was born Feb 27, 2013 which made her 13 weeks old when I adopted her. Then I had to pleasure of picking a name for her. She came with Josie but my friend’s daughters nickname is Josie so I didn’t want to keep her name. I spent a few days observing and pondering and she is now Kona. She is doing very well and look forward to watching her grow into a wonderful dog. Her and Sadie have been playing more and more with each other as the week went on. One night Kona crawled into Sadie’s bed in the bedroom and Sadie walked in wondering where she was going to sleep. Sadie crawled in with her and I took a picture of it. Awww, how cute!


Kona – German Shepherd / Catahoula Leopard

Sadie – Catahouls Leopard / Boxer

2 thoughts on “First Week of First Puppy

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s