Conflicted Options

In January 2010 I lost my job at a really great company despite the fact that the team I was on was not what I consider a team at all. I was devastated and angry, scared and upset – wondering how I was going to survive on unemployment that barely covered bills and left me little for food, gas, etc.

After nine unsuccessful interviews, I went for my tenth interview and thought this would be the perfect place to work however it was a contract to perm position. I was offered the job and started in August. Yay for me! This was a new position for this team so it was a trial with the anticipation of the position becoming permanent by the end of 2010 – so they said.

It’s been over two years and I’m still a contractor. The pay is great, but lacks benefits such as vacation or sick time, no matching 401k, no bonuses – basically I get paid for hours I work and that’s it. I’ve been fighting each year to become permanent and I really thought this would be the year. The department I’m part of moved under a new, and much better, department so the hopes were definitely there for making this happen.

Between talks with my new director and my boss, I REALLY thought it would happen. I felt good about things for once. Last week my bubble was popped when the bad news that my position becoming permanent wasn’t going to happen this year. After today’s meeting, it was realized that there was a huge misunderstanding so the three of us all were able to get on the same page.

I have options now.

Left Hand | Take the pay cut

  • company benefits (vacation, sick, bonuses, etc)
  • annual raises
  • room for growth in skills
  • can’t save for adoption
  • feel happy and sad

Right Hand | Remain a contractor

  • no benefits
  • higher salary
  • no raises
  • room for growth in skills
  • can save for adoption
  • feel happy and sad

I feel sad and happy…conflicted.

And scared that adoption won’t happen or could be delayed.

What to do.

2 thoughts on “Conflicted Options

  1. I don’t know what you do or how hard it would be to find a job elsewhere, but it sounds to me like you are getting jerked around with promises that will never happen. I’d look somewhere else. I would think that benefits would be a necessity once you have a little one home…even if you can pay for health insurance, you’ll still need access to sick days. Either way, I can understand you being conflicted. I wanted to change jobs during our wait, but ultimately decided it wasn’t worth it (I would have lost the six months of vacation leave I’d saved up) and just stuck it out. Good luck with your decision.

    • I have health benefits as a contractor, but yes, time off would be nice once I have my child home. I do feel that becoming a permanent employee will happen, it’s just deciding if that kind of move it the best move. I am always on the look out for other jobs and none of them can give me what I make currently, so either way I would probably have to go down in salary and part of me would rather do that in a place I’ve been working for over two years. But who knows…I might come to a completely different conclusion by the end of the weekend. Thanks for your advice.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s